The Daintree is gearing up for a great day this Saturday Sept 24th to celebrate World Cassowary Day (WCD).
In 2015 WCD was held at Mission Beach with the highly successful event attracting over 3000 people including celebrity guests the Threatened Species Commissioner Gregory Andrews and Wildlife campaigner Bob Irwin.
Last year the Mission Beach WCD steering committee put together a wish list to help protect the cassowary.
Since then a lot has been achieved. (see below)
2) TMR have just installed traffic management at the worst cassowary road death hotspot at Mission Beach.
3) There is a growing campaign for stronger dog laws to address cassowary dog attack.
4) Terrain established an expert panel to develop mapping identifying priority blocks for protection.
5) More funds are being made available via the Green Army to rehabilitate priority corridors.
6) Queensland Government has committed to keeping the Garners Beach cassowary rehabilitation facility open through a partnership with Rainforest Reserves.
What a fantastic effort from the many groups and individuals who have, and continue to, dedicate their time and effort to this cause.
Wishing the Daintree every success for their WCD event on Saturday24 Sept Mission Beach Cassowaries Inc willbe attending with a stall.